Graduate School for Creative WritersPosted: February 24, 2013 Filed under: Attend/Organize Literary Events | Tags: BallState, graduate school, MFA, PhD in Creative Writing 9 Comments
[Here’s a link to the transcript of what we talked about on 3/14/13 at the panel, in case you missed it!]
Links and Resources
Before, during, or after the event, feel free to check out these links and resources:
- “MFA Bound” by Prof. Liz Whiteacre–download this!
- “When People Ask Me About Applying to MFA Programs” by Prof. Cathy Day–ditto.
- “Advice on Choosing a Program” by AWP
- “Low-Res, High Motivation: An Interview with Jill Christman” by Cathy Day
- “Ten Tips for Those Considering MFA Programs” by Ilana Stanger
- The Creative Writing MFA Blog.
- “So You Want to Get an MFA?: An Open Letter to My Students” by Stephanie Vanderslice. The Huffington Post
- “Why Critics of MFA Programs Have it Wrong” by Curtis Sittenfeld and Lan Samantha Chang. Salon
- “MFA Fever.” The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- The Creative Writing MFA Handbook: A Guide for Prospective Graduate Students by Tom Kealey
- “MFA FAQ: The LOR” by Cathy Day
- “Write Tip: Getting Letters of Recommendation” by Tayari Jones
- “Statement of Purpose: Do’s and Don’ts” by Cathy Day
- “2012 MFA Rankings: the Top Fifty” by Poets & Writers magazine. Use this as a starting place. The rankings themselves are highly controversial.
- “Portraits from MFA Nation” by Poets and Writers magazine.
- “Post-MFA Advice” by Lee Martin
- Reality Check: Why do you want an MFA in Creative Writing? by Adam Atkinson
This event was organized by the students in Cathy Day’s Literary Citizenship class at Ball State University. And here’s a picture of the event!